It’s time for a chat about the most underappreciated people in our lives: Us.We would do anything for our kids, and that includes neglecting ourselves for years to put them first. Really think about that… years! It’s crazy amazing! Thank you a thousand times, mama!
We know from experience that “thank you” is not something you hear enough. Unfortunately, your kiddos probably aren’t doling out the gold stars as much as they should (we’re looking at you, pre-verbals). And are you aware this is an unpaid position? Haha.The reality is that we have to recognize and reward ourselves for a very challenging job done well. Sure, the babies kick in some hugs and snuggles, but that’s usually after they’ve completely unrolled all of the toilet paper in the house.
So here’s what we’re gonna do, mamas. We’re declaring 2019 our year, in one hour a week.
The Year Of You
Step one: carve out a little time for yourself. Oh yes, we know that is easier said than done (like WAAAY easier). Just getting a weekly hour or two of me-time on the calendar might take you a month of requesting, planning, and rescheduling. So tackle that first.
Here are some ideas for finding that time:
- Swap kiddos with a friend
- Scour the internet for a local drop-off childcare facility
- Ask a trusted relative or a neighbor
Step two: have a plan. Sure we daydream about an hour or two alone, but now that you’re making it happen, what do you want to do with it? It’s up to you. The only essential is that it be something that it pretty much impossible with the kids around (except grocery shopping! Don’t spend your me time on that ;).
Here are some me-time ideas:
- Meet a close friend you haven’t seen in awhile.
- Take a walk around your neighborhood or a park.
- Do you hair and makeup with all the time you need.
What else can you do for you this year, mamas? Some ideas:
- Be well. Grab a piece of fruit for a fast snack instead of chips or candy and try to drink more water. You don’t have to get crazy (in fact that never works), simple and small changes work best.
- Commit to sleep. Set a bedtime and stick with it, and literally everything in your life will be better.
- Delegate. Are there people in your life who would love to pitch in more? Put on your most charming face and ask for help. Don’t go it alone, mama!
As busy moms ourselves, we know some things on this list can seem like total fantasy. But take time for you or risk blinking and discovering ten years have gone by and you’re still wearing those socks with holes that you were going to throw away before your baby made a surprise appearance.
If you can’t do all or even a few things for yourself this year, do one small thing, again and again. You’re a mom. You deserve it.
What are your new year’s resolutions? We want to hear what you’re going to do to make 2019 the year of you, mama.
Share your thing in the comments below!.